It is once again the anniversary of the Periodic Table of the Elements. It was first introduced to the world on this day in 1869, in a presentation to the Russian Chemical Society by Chemist Dimitri Mendeleev.
I write this with a sleeping baby in one arm, so it'll be brief.
First, a quiz for you - a fun activity for Periodic Table Day. Feel free to give your answers and other thoughts in the comments on this post.
- What was periodic about Mendeleev's table?
- What was the reason (discovered much later) for that periodicity?
- How are the elements ordered in the table?
- Where does hydrogen belong - on the left or on the right? Why?
- What predictions did the original table suggest? Have they been confirmed?
- Does the Periodic Table depict a fact or a theory? Explain.