Tuesday 17 February 2009

Except on my blog

That's odd.

The world doesn't seem to be in an state of breathless anticipation. People are not biting their nails on the street corners, waiting to see what happens. Strangers are not coming up and offering me their sympathy and encouragement.

No matter how much evidence I get, part of me is still thrown off by each new proof that I'm not the centre of the universe.

Silly mammal.

(Stay tuned - in a few hours, I'll let you know how my dissertation defense went.)

[Update: After a pleasant conversation talking about all the interesting stuff I've been doing over the past 5 years, and why it's a valuable and important contribution to the body of science, I have passed with corrections. Wahoo!]

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Tim!

    Is your area of work anything like Stephen Pinker's, or (as John Cleese, used to say) something completely different?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely different, I would say. I have some (very scanty) details on my academic website here if you're interested. (And, once my corrections are done, you'll be able to download the whole dissertation from there. If you're really interested.)

    I study speech production from an acoustic and articulatory perspective - basically, the physical aspects of the behaviour. Pinker studies the neurological and psychological aspects.

    Clare works more on that end of things than I do, don't you Clare?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to a new domain:

http://friendlyhumanist.net/

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.